- Wednesday, December 27, 2017 5:04 PM
Athens, 27 December 2017 (MIA) - Greece's Defense Minister Panos Kammenos, who is a leader of junior ruling coalition member 'Independent Greeks' (ANEL), reaffirmed Wednesday his opposition to a possibility for the name dispute solution to include the term 'Macedonia', Kathimerini reports.
"We hold to our stance to be against the use of the term 'Macedonia'," Kammenos, said. He called on President Prokopis Pavlopoulos to convene all political leaders to discuss the name dispute with Macedonia.
Speaking at a press conference, Kammenos said his stance on this matter should not be interpreted as an intention for criticizing the Foreign Minister, Nikos Kotzias, who 'is the best Greece's FM thus far'.
Nine deputies represent the 'Independent Greeks' (ANEL) party in the Greek Parliament, enabling the Alexis Tsipras' government to have a majority of 153 MPs in the 300-seat parliament.
Few days ago, former Greek foreign minister Dora Bakoyannis wrote on Twitter that Kammenos, during the rule of Kostas Karamanlis, who served as prime minister from 2004 to 2009, accepted twice the compound name with a geographical qualifier for a solution to the name dispute. lk/17:03
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 4:51 PM | Macedonia's Alagjozovski to attend informal conference of culture ministers in Davos
Ahead of the World Economic Forum, an informal conference for the ministers of culture from the sign...
- 4:11 PM | Mass protest in Thessaloniki against use of 'Macedonia' in name dispute with Skopje
Thousands of people, carrying banners with messages 'Macedonia was, will be Greek'; 'The name is our...
- 3:00 PM | There is room for improvement of language bill - French Ambassador Thimonier
French Ambassador Christian Timonie believes he isn't the only one who has failed to understand the ...
- 1:55 PM | Taliban claims responsibility for deadly assault at Kabul hotel
An Afghan official says an assault on the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul has ended after more than ...
- 1:49 PM | Greek PM Tsipras: If there is an opportunity for a solution, it would be a national stupidity not to make good use of it
Under the title 'If there is an opportunity for a solution, it would be a national stupidity not to ...