- Monday, January 01, 2018 4:57 PM
Skopje, 1 January 2018 (MIA) - A government delegation laid fresh flowers Monday on the grave of the first President of the Republic of Macedonia, Kiro Gligorov, who passed away on 1 January 2012.
Gligorv became the first democratically elected president of Macedonia on 26 January 1991 and served two terms until 19 November 1999. He led the country to independence proclaimed after the referendum held on 8 September 1991, and managed to keep it out of the Yugoslav wars.
During his presidential mandate, Macedonia got a new constitution (November 1991) and became the 181st UN member. lk/16:56
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 3:33 PM | Projkovski's Romeo and Juliet voted the best play of 2017 in Turkey
Romeo and Juliet, produced by the Istanbul National Theater and directed by Dejan Projkovski, was vo...
- 3:32 PM | Kosovo's Thaci and Haradinaj condemn killing of leading Serb politician
Kosovo President Hashim Thaci and PM Ramush Haradinaj have strongly denounced the killing of Oliver ...
- 3:10 PM | Language E-learning Center promotes Macedonian culture in the USA
The Macedonian Language E-learning Center (http://makedonskijazik.org) celebrated its 10-year annive...
- 3:03 PM | President Vucic calls Ivanovic's murder 'terrorist act'
Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic said Tuesday that Serbia views the fatal attack on Oliver Ivanovi...
- 2:54 PM | EU still open to Britain changing mind on Brexit
Leaders of the European Union institutions weighed into a new British debate on whether to hold a se...