- Monday, January 01, 2018 4:57 PM
Skopje, 1 January 2018 (MIA) - A government delegation laid fresh flowers Monday on the grave of the first President of the Republic of Macedonia, Kiro Gligorov, who passed away on 1 January 2012.
Gligorv became the first democratically elected president of Macedonia on 26 January 1991 and served two terms until 19 November 1999. He led the country to independence proclaimed after the referendum held on 8 September 1991, and managed to keep it out of the Yugoslav wars.
During his presidential mandate, Macedonia got a new constitution (November 1991) and became the 181st UN member. lk/16:56
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 6:17 PM | EU expects full implementation of all Belgrade-Pristina dialogue
The EU expects full implementation of all Belgrade-Pristina dialogue agreements, including the one t...
- 4:43 PM | SPO appeals TV journalist's probation sentence
The Special Public Prosecution (SPO) filed an appeal to the Court of Appeals challenging a tax evasi...
- 4:33 PM | Parliament dismisses anti-corruption commission members
The Parliament dismissed Monday five members of the State Commission for Prevention of Corruption (S...
- 3:58 PM | EU agrees Brexit transition, UK renews Irish border vow
Britain agreed to a potentially unpalatable deal to avoid a “hard border” for Northern Ireland on Mo...
- 3:53 PM | Europol head: Over 800 IS fighters come from Western Balkans
Nearly 800 people from Western Balkan countries have fought for the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq,...