- Friday, January 27, 2017 2:14 PM
Berlin, 27 January 2017 (MIA) - German vice chancellor and outgoing head of the Social Democrats (SPD) Sigmar Gabriel will take over the role of foreign minister on Friday in a cabinet reshuffle ahead of the national election in September, dpa reports.
Gabriel, who until now has headed the Economy Ministry in the grand coalition government of Chancellor Angela Merkel, will become Germany‘s top diplomat in place of Frank-Walter Steinmeier, who is set to be voted in as president on February 12.
The Economy Ministry will be led by Brigitte Zypries, who had already been serving as its parliamentary state secretary.
The cabinet reshuffle was prompted by a leadership change in the SPD, with former EU Parliament president Martin Schulz taking over from Gabriel to challenge Merkel in the September 24 election. ik/14:12
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 9:08 PM | Rama's 'joint president' statement is outrageous, says FM Dacic
Serbia's Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic condemned Monday the statement of Edi Rama saying that the EU ...
- 8:57 PM | Erdogan warns Syrian government against deal with YPG
Syria's government will face consequences if it reaches an agreement with the Kurdish YPG militia ag...
- 8:25 PM | MP Sela testifies in trial against his attackers
Giving testimony at a trial regarding the violent events in Parliament on 27 April 2017, Zijadin Sel...
- 7:48 PM | Ex-Greek ambassador says he's moderate optimist for name solution
Moderate optimism for finding a solution to the name issue has been expressed by the former Greek am...
- 7:10 PM | TV journalist Talevska sentenced to two years of probation (UPD)
TV journalist Ivona Talevska on Monday was sentenced to two years of probation after pleading guilty...