- Friday, February 17, 2017 12:53 PM
Athens, 17 February 2017 (MIA) - Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci’s decision to leave the meeting with Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades on Thursday was pre-determined, the Cypriot Government Spokesman Nikos Christodoulidis said on Friday, Greek daily "Kathimerini" reports.
Christodoulidis said Akinci’s demeanor was clear before the meeting began when he demanded that the only issue up for discussion would be the decision by Cyprus’s Parliament to make Greek Cypriot schools commemorate the anniversary of a 1950 vote to unite the island with Greece.
Turkish Cypriots had strongly opposed the legislation. But Greek Cypriots dismissed Turkish Cypriot objections, saying they were unjustified. After the meeting was abruptly ended, both sides accused each other of leaving the table.
Christodoulidis also said that the Turkish Cypriot leader also demanded the removal of cameras and photographers from the meeting.
Greek and Turkish Cypriots are holding UN-backed talks aiming to reunite the island which was ethnically divided after Turkey invaded in 1974. ik/12:52
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 3:31 PM | Man charged with planting improvised explosive device in Parliament on April 27
A criminal charge has been longed against a 41-year old Skopje native, who had planted an improvised...
- 3:21 PM | Road cargo transportation up, air and railway down in first quarter of 2017
The volume of goods transported by roads through Macedonia increased by nearly 70 percent in the fir...
- 2:51 PM | Foreign Ministry summons Serbian Ambassador over her diplomat's presence at the Parliament incident
The Foreign Affairs Ministry called Serbian Ambassador to Macedonia Dusanka Divjak Tomic to ask for ...
- 2:36 PM | Total of 5.340 births, 6.132 deaths in first quarter of 2017
The State Statistics Bureau informed that there were a total of 5.340 births in the first quarter of...
- 2:24 PM | Internet site for all Macedonian sports related information
The Youth and Sports Agency promoted a new internet site, www.iss.mk, which will be a one-stop-shop ...