- Friday, February 17, 2017 12:56 PM
Warsaw, 17 February 2017 (MIA) - Poland’s most powerful politician, Jaroslaw Kaczynski, says it’s not in his country’s interests for Donald Tusk to serve a second term as head of the European Council, AP reports.
The opposition leaves Poland as the only EU state openly opposed to a second term for the former Polish premier, whose current term ends in May.
Kaczynski, a longtime political rival of Tusk’s, noted Tusk had backed an EU plan to fine countries that wouldn’t accept refugees in a settlement plan that failed in part due to Polish opposition.
Kaczynski said late Thursday such fines would have cost Poland 3 billion euros.
There was no immediate response from Tusk’s office. The European Council brings together leaders of the 28 member states to determine the bloc’s political priorities. ik/12:55
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 3:05 PM | Popovski: Government sets new standards for communications, transparency and accountability
The government has set new standards related to communications, transparency and accountability, Min...
- 2:45 PM | LE2017/ Police shouldn't be at disposal of political parties during election campaign: minister
Not a single member of the Ministry of the Interior (MoI) should put themselves at the disposal of a...
- 2:09 PM | No new cases of measles reported, vaccination to be priority: Centre for Public Health
No new cases of measles are reported while five people infected with measles on Friday are in good h...
- 2:00 PM | Macedonia to implement EU's experience in bankruptcy and liquidation of companies: conference
Sharing of experiences and best practices of the EU and the region to curb negative consequences whe...
- 1:26 PM | LE2017: SDSM kicks off campaign in Bitola, VMRO-DPMNE in Ohrid
The 20-day campaign of political parties, coalitions and independent candidates at the local electio...