- Monday, March 20, 2017 4:57 PM
Skopje, 20 March 2017 (MIA) - The future of the Balkan countries is within the European Union, Finnish Ambassador to Macedonia Pertti Ikonen told reporters on Monday.
'Macedonia natural place is in the EU and we wish for the country to be part of the Union. We have been investing great efforts for Macedonia and other countries of the region to join the EU. We have been facing problems, but I believe the EU is the only future for this countries, as the EU is Europe,' Ikonen told a press conference, organized in honor of 100th anniversary of Finland's independence.
The celebration of this jubilee in the countries of the region aims to bring the Finnish culture, values, and social life closer to the Balkan population, Ikonen said.
'We also believe that the successful cooperation between the Nordic states could serve as an example to the Balkan countries, Belgrade-based Ambassador Ikonen said.
Speaking about the Finnish society, he said it was developed on the principles of the rule of law, equal opportunities, fight against corruption, efficient public administration, which make Finland the second and fifth happiest country in Europe and the world respectively.
Finland became independent on 6 December 1917. 'Together' has been selected as the main theme of the centenary of Finland’s independence, which foresees over 2,000 events across the globe. lk/16:57
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 12:52 PM | Transportation Minister Sugareski asks for help from the opposition over the Chinese highway contracts
The 16th Parliament session that began on Wednesday, during which the Transportation Ministry was tr...
- 12:25 PM | Referendums on migrants in parallel with local elections disrupts both processes: deputy-minister
The State Local Self-Government Inspectorate is to establish whether the question for the referendum...
- 12:10 PM | Chamber welcome Government business proposals, Angjusev's decision to stop bidding for public procurement contracts
The Macedonian Chamber of Commerce (SKM) said on Wednesday that it supports the Government's proposa...
- 12:04 PM | Angjusev: Only 18 percent of territory covered by sewerage, Skopje boasting with monuments
Macedonia is an exceptionally unequally developed country. Only 18 percent of the population is cove...
- 11:53 AM | Plant for tantalum production opens in Gostivar
A plant-refinery for tantalum production opened in Gostivar village Balindol on Tuesday.