- Friday, March 31, 2017 5:13 PM
Athens, 31 March 2017 (MIA) - Migration Minister Yiannis Mouzalas said on Friday that the situation at migrant camps in Chios has reached breaking point.
Speaking to Parliament in the aftermath of a suicide attempt of migrant that set himself on fire, Mouzalas said 'the situation on Chios is exceeding its limits.'
According to the minister, 2,500 refugees and migrants have been transferred to the Greek mainland, while another 1200 moved by themselves.
The best way, he said, for the asylum application process to move faster and for returns to Turkey to increase is through the creation of 'closed' reception centers, which, however, the ruling SYRIZA party denounced when it was in opposition.
Official figures put the total number of migrants and refugees stranded on Chios at roughly 3,500.
About 14,000 migrants seeking asylum live in camps on Greece's eastern islands, having crossed the sea from Turkey. lk/17:11
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 5:50 PM | PM Zaev: Macedonia’s accession to NATO not an obstacle to advancing the relations with Russia
NATO membership is Macedonia’s strategic goal and it is not an obstacle for the country to advance i...
- 5:35 PM | Macedonia holds European record of most prison breaks
Macedonia has the highest rate of prison breakouts, shows a survey published Tuesday by the Council ...
- 5:11 PM | Greek gov't spokesman Tzanakopoulos expects progress in name talks
Greece is expecting the comments on a draft agreement Athens has sent to Skopje. It also expect a p...
- 3:11 PM | Several people shot at Maryland high school: media report
Several people were shot at a Maryland high school on Tuesday, local news media reported, after scho...
- 2:59 PM | Turgenev's A Month in the Country rehearsals begin in MNT
Thirty years after directing Macedonian playwright Goran Stefanovski’s Black Hole, Italian director ...