- Saturday, April 08, 2017 12:15 PM
Skopje, 8 April 2017 (MIA) - President Gjorge Ivanov congratulated Saturday members of the Roma community on the International Romani Day-April 8.
"Over the years, Macedonia has been committed to the improvement of the general position of Roma in all walks of life. However, enhancement of the broader economic and social status of Roma is unthinkable beyond the education context", reads the note.
Ivanov says he would continue to engage in efforts towards overcoming prejudices.
"Improvement of the position of Roma means promotion of non-discrimination through respect of traditional values and deep understanding of cultural traits", stresses the President.
Prime Minister Emil Dimitriev also extended congratulations over the International Romani Day, saying the observance clearly demonstrated the continuity and respect that Macedonia nurtures for the Roma community.
"Over the past year, the Government continued to support the education and culture of the Roma community, support to the Romani NGOs and mediation centres, employment and business start-up, raising health awareness, social rights etc", says Dimitriev.
He voices conviction that such support would continue in the future, in the framework of the country's concept of respecting all communities towards a stable and sustainable multiethnic society. ik/12:13
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 1:42 PM | Deputy PM Osmani, Minister Nikolovski visit IPA-funded State Phytosanitary Laboratory in Skopje
Bujar Osmani, Deputy PM in charge of EU affairs, and Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Eco...
- 12:43 PM | SDSM believe they are favorites to win the coming municipal elections
Prime Minister and SDSM leader Zoran Zaev said he expects his party to win the municipal elections s...
- 12:21 PM | Osmani says Macedonia will have a positive approach toward all its neighbors
Deputy Prime Minister in charge of European Integration Bujar Osmani said that "Macedonia is in a hi...
- 11:24 AM | Greek President commends handball team for refusing to play Macedonia, which he accused of irredentism
Greek President Prokopis Pavolopoulos called on Macedonia to stop spreading irredentism, which, he s...
- 10:53 AM | Association of Macedonians from Albania demands official documents to be issued in Macedonian
The Ilinden Association from Tirana, which works to protect rights of ethnic Macedonians in Albania,...