- Monday, October 02, 2017 3:29 PM
Belgrade, 2 October 2017 (MIA) - Greece supports the EU accession of the "former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" but through observance of European principles, said Greek President Prokopis Pavlopoulos at a joint press conference with Serbian counterpart Aleksandar Vucic in Belgrade on Monday.
"If the country has a name that falsifies history, this is not in line with the European principles. It is not acceptable for the country to say 'We want to join the EU but we are challenging borders'. This results in irredentism and undermines European perspective, and Greece cannot support it", said Pavlopoulos.
According to him, this also refers to Albania, which must also respect European values if it wants to join the EU.
"We want Balkan states to be part of the Union in order to create a southeastern fork that is equal to the remaining part of the EU", added Pavlopoulos.
Greece believes the EU should survive and stand united.
"Europe should be a federation based on democratic principles, reflecting the model of democracy, solidarity and respect of human rights", stressed President Pavlopoulos. ik/15:22
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 4:51 PM | Macedonia's Alagjozovski to attend informal conference of culture ministers in Davos
Ahead of the World Economic Forum, an informal conference for the ministers of culture from the sign...
- 4:11 PM | Mass protest in Thessaloniki against use of 'Macedonia' in name dispute with Skopje
Thousands of people, carrying banners with messages 'Macedonia was, will be Greek'; 'The name is our...
- 3:00 PM | There is room for improvement of language bill - French Ambassador Thimonier
French Ambassador Christian Timonie believes he isn't the only one who has failed to understand the ...
- 1:55 PM | Taliban claims responsibility for deadly assault at Kabul hotel
An Afghan official says an assault on the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul has ended after more than ...
- 1:49 PM | Greek PM Tsipras: If there is an opportunity for a solution, it would be a national stupidity not to make good use of it
Under the title 'If there is an opportunity for a solution, it would be a national stupidity not to ...