- Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:33 AM
Cairo, 12 October 2017 (MIA) - The leader of Hamas says his group has reached an agreement with the rival Fatah party of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas after Egyptian-brokered talks about the terms of control of the Gaza Strip, AP reports.
Ismail Haniyeh said in a statement that details would be announced in Cairo later on Thursday.
The Islamic militant Hamas evicted Abbas’ Western-backed Palestinian Authority from Gaza a decade ago, leading to a crippling territorial and political split among Palestinians. Abbas oversees autonomous enclaves in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.
Hamas and Fatah officials held two days of talks in Cairo this week about a Palestinian Authority return to Gaza.
Repeated reconciliation attempts have failed since 2007.
Sticking points include control over the arsenal of Hamas’ armed wing and the fate of thousands of Hamas public servants. ik/08:31
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 5:44 PM | UNICEF: Every child is entitled to healthy environment
Macedonia's Environment Minister Sadula Duraki and UNICEF Representative Benjamin Perks discussed We...
- 5:41 PM | Branko Gapo's digitized films promoted at Cinematheque of Macedonia
Digitized films and a DVD of the body of work of Macedonian film director Branko Gapo were promoted ...
- 5:11 PM | President Ivanov delivers lecture at Turkey's Council of Higher Education
President Gjorge Ivanov delivered Wednesday in Ankara a lecture on challenges of higher education in...
- 5:03 PM | Vice-Premier Osmani: Macedonia needs help for building national consensus on strategic issues
The European Commission's Strategy for the Western Balkan countries has accurately assessed Macedoni...
- 4:52 PM | European cities need to adapt now to future drought, floods - researchers
European cities in the second half of the century may face significantly worse heatwaves, deepening ...