- Saturday, January 13, 2018 10:56 AM
Skopje, 13 January 2018 (MIA) - Vevcani will be an open-air theatre this weekend, an abundance of creativity and improvisation, the center of satire regarding the events that marked the past year.
The Vevcani carnival, which celebrates the arrival of the new year according to the old calendar, begins Saturday with the parade of masks and an evening concert.
The event will culminate on Sunday, with the dance of about 1,000 masks and the traditional mask burning.
1,400-year-old celebration symbolizes two parallel worlds - paganism and Christianity. The masks of groom and bride are an inevitable element on the streets of Vevcani. They symbolize fertility and procreation. Revelers also wear masks depicting two devils, the embodiment of evil, and August the Stupid, which protects people from evil. ik/10:55
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 4:18 PM | PM Tsipras: Macedonian nation never existed in ancient time, nor did Athenians or Spartans
A Macedonian nation never existed in the period of classical antiquity, as it was the case with the ...
- 4:14 PM | US Embassy in Skopje: Visa, emergency service to continue for US citizens
Scheduled passport and visas services, and emergency services for US citizens, will continue at the ...
- 2:25 PM | UMD urges Macedonia's authorities to put an end to name talks
The United Macedonian Diaspora (UMD) supports the #OurNameisMacedonia Campaign, spearheaded by Maced...
- 1:37 PM | Hoyt Yee: Macedonia and Greece have real opportunity to solve the name issue
Macedonia and Greece have a real opportunity, maybe the best one, for solving the so-called name is...
- 1:13 PM | Serbia's President Vucic pays respects to slain Kosovo Serb politician
Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic visited the northern city of Mitrovica on Saturday, where he paid...