- Friday, February 09, 2018 7:40 PM
Budapest, 9 February 2018 (MIA) - The European Union should step up efforts to integrate the Balkans, Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban said on Friday, adding that Budapest would aim to accelerate the accession of its southern neighbor, Serbia.
“We must integrate the Balkans into the EU, the EU itself has already accepted that,” Reuters cites Orban as saying at a Hungarian-Serbian business forum. “It has also provided a date, 2025. We are not happy with this date, we think it is modest, this is too distant.”
Orban met Serbian Prime Minister Ana Brnabic earlier in the day in Budapest.
The EU acted on Tuesday to reinvigorate the membership ambitions of six Balkan states and reclaim the region as its own amid growing Russian and Chinese influence, setting 2025 as a goal for Serbia and Montenegro to join. lk/19:38
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 9:08 PM | Rama's 'joint president' statement is outrageous, says FM Dacic
Serbia's Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic condemned Monday the statement of Edi Rama saying that the EU ...
- 8:57 PM | Erdogan warns Syrian government against deal with YPG
Syria's government will face consequences if it reaches an agreement with the Kurdish YPG militia ag...
- 8:25 PM | MP Sela testifies in trial against his attackers
Giving testimony at a trial regarding the violent events in Parliament on 27 April 2017, Zijadin Sel...
- 7:48 PM | Ex-Greek ambassador says he's moderate optimist for name solution
Moderate optimism for finding a solution to the name issue has been expressed by the former Greek am...
- 7:10 PM | TV journalist Talevska sentenced to two years of probation (UPD)
TV journalist Ivona Talevska on Monday was sentenced to two years of probation after pleading guilty...