- Tuesday, February 20, 2018 10:06 AM
Beirut, 20 February 2018 (MIA) - Lebanon’s army has warned Israel against staging a new war on the country, vowing that it will use every available means to deter such an act of aggression.
“I affirm again our categorical rejection of the Israeli enemy infringing on Lebanon’s sovereignty and its sacred right to exploit all its economic resources,” Lebanese army chief General Joseph Aoun said on Twitter on Tuesday.
“The army will not spare any method available to confront any Israeli aggression, whatever that costs,” he wrote.
Earlier this month, Lebanese President Michel Aoun said he had ordered the country’s armed forces to confront any attempt by Israel to undermine Lebanon’s sovereignty, agencies report.
The two sides have nearly come to blows over a tender by Lebanon in December for oil and gas exploration projects in two of the country’s 10 offshore blocks in the Mediterranean Sea, namely Block 4 and Block 9.
The move angered Israel which claims sovereignty over the ninth block.
The Tel Aviv regime has also escalated the tensions by announcing plans for a wall to isolate the occupied Palestinian lands from Lebanese territories.
Lebanon has objected to Israel’s plan, saying the wall violates its sovereignty by passing through territory that belongs to the country but is located on the other side of a UN-designated Blue Line, which sets the limits for Israel’s 2000 withdrawal from southern Lebanon.
Tel Aviv says the construction will go ahead as planned.
The Israeli regime has waged three wars on Lebanon — in 1982, 2000, and 2006. It has also carried out assassinations in Lebanese territory.
Since its establishment in 1985, the Hezbollah resistance group has helped the army defend Lebanon against Israel’s 2000 and 2006 wars.
The resistance movement warned Israel against the “grave consequences” of the regime’s next war, vowing to defend the rights of Lebanon in oil and gas exploration in the eastern Mediterranean region against any new Israeli aggression. sk/10:05
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 9:45 PM | Justice Minister Saliji resigns over a case related to a child’s death
Justice Minister Bilen Saliji tendered his resignation late Tuesday due to deteriorating public trus...
- 8:51 PM | Google pledges $300m to support journalism and fight fake news
Google has said it will invest $300m in helping news organisations to fight fake news and grow their...
- 8:34 PM | PM Zaev reaffirms government’s commitment to champion youth policies
The government, along with youth organizations, has confirmed its dedication to build a modern, prog...
- 7:33 PM | UN: Nimetz will meet with FMs Dimitrov and Kotzias on March 30 in Vienna
The United Nations press service has confirmed that the foreign ministers of Macedonia and Greece wi...
- 7:23 PM | Gunman dies after being shot at US school
A gunman who shot and injured two teenage students at a high school in the US state of Maryland was ...