- Thursday, November 09, 2017 6:17 PM
Madrid, 9 November 2017 (MIA) - European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker on Thursday called on Europe to stand up against separatism at a time when the Catalan independence push has deeply divided Spain, Reuters reports.
The standoff between Madrid and supporters of Catalan independence, triggered by a banned Oct. 1 referendum splitting with Spain, has stirred separatist feelings far beyond Spanish borders.
“Nationalisms are a poison that prevent Europe from working together”, said Juncker in a speech at a university Spanish city of Salamanca, where he received an award.
“We cannot stay with our arms crossed because it is time for us to do what needs to be done. I say ‘no’ to any form of separatism that weakens Europe and further widens the existing fissures.” lk/18:16
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 7:07 PM | Police respond to ‘shots fired’ at London’s Oxford Circus
British police flooded London’s busy Oxford Circus area Friday after receiving multiple reports of '...
- 5:50 PM | More than 230 killed in mosque in Egypt
Militants have launched a bomb and gun attack on a mosque in Egypt's North Sinai province, killing 2...
- 5:35 PM | New Ukraine, India Ambassadors to Macedonia present credentials to President Ivanov
The new Ukrainian and Indian Ambassadors to Macedonia, Natalia Zadorozhnyuk and Pooja Kapur respec...
- 5:02 PM | One in three women experienced some form of violence: UN Representative to Macedonia
Globally, one in three women or girls have experienced some form of violence, the UN Resident Repres...
- 5:02 PM | Appellate Court rules retrial for 'Monster' case
The Appellate Court accepted Friday the appeal filled by the defense in the 'Monster' case - murder ...