- Saturday, October 07, 2017 12:39 PM
Istanbul, 7 October 2017 (MIA) - Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu expressed his wish for a normalization of the currently tense relations with Germany, in an interview with German news magazine Spiegel on Saturday.
"There is no reason for problems between Germany and Turkey," said Cavusoglu.
"If you take one step towards us, we‘ll take two towards you."
He also claimed Turkey would be prepared to work with Green politician Cem Ozdemir, who is of Turkish origin and a fierce critic of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Ozdemir is thought likely to be included in a new government coalition after last month‘s German elections, dpa news agency reported.
At the same time, Cavusoglu defended some of Erdogan‘s more controversial statements.
For example, comparisons between current German leaders and those of the Nazi-era were "responses to German hostility," he said.
Last week Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim called for the opening of a "new chapter" with Berlin, stressing that relations must be "repaired."
Germany is home to around 3 million people of Turkish origin and the two have traditionally been strong allies.
Relations between the two countries have took a turn for the worse more recently following Erdogan‘s crackdown on political dissidents, some of whom are German citizens, in the wake of a failed putsch last year. ba/12:38
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 2:21 PM | Strategic talks on enhancement of Macedonia-France defense cooperation
Enhancement of cooperation with the Directorate-General for International Relations and Strategy wit...
- 1:47 PM | EP: Third country nationals exempt from visa requirements to apply for EU travel authorization as of 2020
The European Parliament's Civil Liberties Committee approved Thursday new draft rules according to w...
- 12:40 PM | Detention ordered against fifth suspect involved in MP Sela's attack
A judge has ordered a 30-day detention against a man, the fifth suspect, for an attempted murder of ...
- 12:38 PM | Nikolovski: Cooperation with scientific institutions in creation of new agrarian policies
The scientists from 26 countries, representatives of universities, institutions and companies partic...
- 12:38 PM | Grujevski, Boskovski extradition procedure to start after Interpol notification: justice ministry
The Justice Ministry will initiate the procedure for extradition of Goran Grujevski and Nikola Bosko...