- Monday, January 01, 2018 4:57 PM
Skopje, 1 January 2018 (MIA) - A government delegation laid fresh flowers Monday on the grave of the first President of the Republic of Macedonia, Kiro Gligorov, who passed away on 1 January 2012.
Gligorv became the first democratically elected president of Macedonia on 26 January 1991 and served two terms until 19 November 1999. He led the country to independence proclaimed after the referendum held on 8 September 1991, and managed to keep it out of the Yugoslav wars.
During his presidential mandate, Macedonia got a new constitution (November 1991) and became the 181st UN member. lk/16:56
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 10:06 AM | S&P upgrades Greece's credit rating
Greece’s sovereign credit rating was raised one level by S&P Global Ratings, helping the government’...
- 3:30 PM | Minister Spasovski attends Epiphany observance in Pustec
Minister of Interior Oliver Spasovski visited Friday Albania's Pustec municipality, attending the ob...
- 2:36 PM | Last three years hottest on record: UN
The last three years were the hottest on record, the United Nations weather agency said Thursday, ci...
- 2:18 PM | President Ivanov, diplomatic corps attend Epiphany event in Dojran
President Gjorge Ivanov and members of the diplomatic corps to Macedonia attended the event observin...
- 1:46 PM | Turkish shelling marks start of Afrin operation, minister says
Turkey’s operation in Syria’s Kurdish-controlled Afrin region has “de facto” begun with cross-border...