- Sunday, May 15, 2016 4:10 PM
Aden, 15 May 2016 (MIA) - A suicide bombing claimed by the Islamic State group and a second attack killed 37 police on Sunday in the Yemeni port of Mukalla where a year of Al-Qaeda rule was ended just last month, medics said.
It was the second attack in days claimed by IS in the city of 200,000 people which was recaptured by government forces from the rival jihadists of Al-Qaeda with US backing.
The suicide bomber killed at least 31 police recruits on the southwestern outskirts of the city, which is the capital of Hadramawt province, medics said.
The bomber detonated an explosives belt as he joined a line of men at a police recruitment centre, a provincial official said.
More than sixty people were also wounded in the attack in Fuwah district, a medical source said.
Hadramawt's security chief, General Mubarak al-Oubthani, who was at the recruitment centre at the time of the attack but was not hurt, was the target of a second bombing when he headed to the centre of Mukalla afterwards, a security official said.
The bomb went off as Oubthani walked out of his office killing six of his guards but leaving him with only minor injuries, the official said.
An IS statement posted online claimed the suicide attack, the second but rare intervention by the jihadist group in an area known as a stronghold of rival Al-Qaeda.
"Brother Abu al-Bara al-Ansari... detonated his explosives belt at a gathering of the apostates of the security forces," it said.
On Thursday, 15 Yemeni troops were killed in jihadist attacks on army positions outside Mukalla. IS said one of its militants blew up a vehicle packed with explosives in an army base in Khalf district on the city's eastern outskirts.
The attacks included a suicide bombing that targeted the residence of the commander of Hadramawt's second military region, General Faraj Salmeen, but he escaped unharmed, officials said. lk/16:10
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 2:21 PM | Strategic talks on enhancement of Macedonia-France defense cooperation
Enhancement of cooperation with the Directorate-General for International Relations and Strategy wit...
- 1:47 PM | EP: Third country nationals exempt from visa requirements to apply for EU travel authorization as of 2020
The European Parliament's Civil Liberties Committee approved Thursday new draft rules according to w...
- 12:40 PM | Detention ordered against fifth suspect involved in MP Sela's attack
A judge has ordered a 30-day detention against a man, the fifth suspect, for an attempted murder of ...
- 12:38 PM | Nikolovski: Cooperation with scientific institutions in creation of new agrarian policies
The scientists from 26 countries, representatives of universities, institutions and companies partic...
- 12:38 PM | Grujevski, Boskovski extradition procedure to start after Interpol notification: justice ministry
The Justice Ministry will initiate the procedure for extradition of Goran Grujevski and Nikola Bosko...