- Friday, February 09, 2018 5:24 PM
Skopje, 9 February 2018 (MIA) - Macedonia's Parliament is an inclusive, open institution and in favor of advancing the gender equality it has adopted a law, which says that 40 percent of the MPs should be women, Speaker Talat Xhaferi said Friday at a meeting with the European Women's Lobby (EWL) Secretary General, Joanna Maycock.
Presenting the EWL objectives, Maycock said efforts should be made to legally advance the gender equality. Commending the introduction of a gender quota, Maycock said other countries should follow Macedonia's suit in this respect.
Xhaferi on his part mentioned the establishment of Women's Parliamentary Club and an appointment of a woman for the Parliament Secretary General as additional steps in favor of championing the gender equality in the highest legislation body of the country.
Xhafri and Maycock agreed on the need of intensifying the cooperation between the Macedonia and European Women's Parliamentary Clubs in favor of ensuring gender equality in all institutions. lk/17:23
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 4:24 PM | Xhaferi-Radev: Bulgaria to fully support Macedonia's bid to join EU, NATO
Macedonia's Parliament Speaker Talat Xhaferi and Bulgaria's President Rumen Radev agreed Saturday th...
- 3:32 PM | Bulgaria's President tells MIA who is Rumen Radev
Pilot, diver, rock music fan - who is Bulgaria's President Rumen Radev. His biography records a sol...
- 2:18 PM | Western Balkan states must solve border disputes before joining EU: Juncker
European Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker on Saturday underscored the importance of offering cou...
- 2:07 PM | German foreign minister pushes for return to strong US ties
Germany's foreign minister slammed the "America first" approach of President Donald Trump's administ...
- 1:58 PM | Macedonian, Bulgarian Presidents urge their countries to advance overall cooperation
Macedonia and Bulgaria should work on advancing the business cooperation and communication at all le...