- Friday, November 10, 2017 6:08 PM
Tirana, 10 November 2017 (MIA) - Albania's Defense Ministry says the army has finished destroying tons of ammunition and thousands of weapons that were rendered obsolete when Albania joined NATO, AP reported.
Defense Minister Olta Xhacka said Friday that the last rounds of ammunition were destroyed at plants in central Albania. The minister says the process that started eight years ago will be wrapped up by year's end when some 600,000 detonating capsules are demolished.
Albania joined NATO in 2009 and has replaced its old Kalashnikov automatic rifles with NATO-standard weaponry. Some 26,000 tons of Soviet- and Chinese-made ammunition and more than 100,000 small weapons were destroyed as part of the switch.
Some 656,000 weapons and 1.5 billion rounds of ammunition were stolen from Albanian army depots in 1997 during civil unrest sparked by Ponzi scheme failures. ba/18:08
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 7:07 PM | Police respond to ‘shots fired’ at London’s Oxford Circus
British police flooded London’s busy Oxford Circus area Friday after receiving multiple reports of '...
- 5:50 PM | More than 230 killed in mosque in Egypt
Militants have launched a bomb and gun attack on a mosque in Egypt's North Sinai province, killing 2...
- 5:35 PM | New Ukraine, India Ambassadors to Macedonia present credentials to President Ivanov
The new Ukrainian and Indian Ambassadors to Macedonia, Natalia Zadorozhnyuk and Pooja Kapur respec...
- 5:02 PM | One in three women experienced some form of violence: UN Representative to Macedonia
Globally, one in three women or girls have experienced some form of violence, the UN Resident Repres...
- 5:02 PM | Appellate Court rules retrial for 'Monster' case
The Appellate Court accepted Friday the appeal filled by the defense in the 'Monster' case - murder ...