- Monday, July 17, 2017 10:53 AM
Los Angeles, 17 July 2017 (MIA) - The actor Martin Landau, best known for roles in the TV series Mission: Impossible and 1960s blockbusters like Cleopatra, has died, aged 89, BBC reports.
His publicist Dick Guttman confirmed the death, saying: "We are overcome with sadness."
Landau won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar in 1995 for portraying the horror movie star Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood.
He died on Saturday in Los Angeles of "unexpected complications" following a hospital visit.
Landau was born in New York and started out as a cartoonist for the New York Daily News before moving to theatre and then cinema acting.
He featured in the Alfred Hitchcock film North by North-West and played a commander in Space: 1999 and Geppetto in a live-action version of The Adventures of Pinocchio.
But he turned down the role of Mr Spock in Star Trek, a role that went to his friend Leonard Nimoy instead.
And Nimoy later replaced Landau on Mission: Impossible when the latter left following a dispute over pay. sk/10:51
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 1:00 PM | Spanish police acts to stop the planned independence referendum in Catalonia
Spanish police arrested 12 people Wednesday in raids on offices of the regional government of Catalo...
- 12:52 PM | Transportation Minister Sugareski asks for help from the opposition over the Chinese highway contracts
The 16th Parliament session that began on Wednesday, during which the Transportation Ministry was tr...
- 12:25 PM | Referendums on migrants in parallel with local elections disrupts both processes: deputy-minister
The State Local Self-Government Inspectorate is to establish whether the question for the referendum...
- 12:10 PM | Chamber welcome Government business proposals, Angjusev's decision to stop bidding for public procurement contracts
The Macedonian Chamber of Commerce (SKM) said on Wednesday that it supports the Government's proposa...
- 12:04 PM | Angjusev: Only 18 percent of territory covered by sewerage, Skopje boasting with monuments
Macedonia is an exceptionally unequally developed country. Only 18 percent of the population is cove...