- Friday, October 13, 2017 9:29 AM
Boston, 13 October 2017 (MIA) - A cigar half-smoked by British Prime Minister Winston Churchill during a 1947 trip to Paris has sold for just over $12,000 during an online auction, AP reports.
Boston-based RR Auction says the 4-inch (10-centimeter) cigar was bought Wednesday evening by a collector from Palm Beach, Florida. The buyer's name wasn't released.
The auction company says Churchill smoked the cigar on May 11, 1947, at Le Bourget Airport. Included in the auction was a photo signed by the prime minister that shows him with the cigar in his hand at the airport.
RR Auction says a British airman, Cpl. William Alan Turner, kept the cigar after his crew flew Churchill and his wife to and from Paris.
The label on the La Corona cigar from Havana, Cuba, includes Churchill's name. sk/09:28
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 5:44 PM | UNICEF: Every child is entitled to healthy environment
Macedonia's Environment Minister Sadula Duraki and UNICEF Representative Benjamin Perks discussed We...
- 5:41 PM | Branko Gapo's digitized films promoted at Cinematheque of Macedonia
Digitized films and a DVD of the body of work of Macedonian film director Branko Gapo were promoted ...
- 5:11 PM | President Ivanov delivers lecture at Turkey's Council of Higher Education
President Gjorge Ivanov delivered Wednesday in Ankara a lecture on challenges of higher education in...
- 5:03 PM | Vice-Premier Osmani: Macedonia needs help for building national consensus on strategic issues
The European Commission's Strategy for the Western Balkan countries has accurately assessed Macedoni...
- 4:52 PM | European cities need to adapt now to future drought, floods - researchers
European cities in the second half of the century may face significantly worse heatwaves, deepening ...