- Thursday, November 19, 2015 12:46 PM
Skopje, 19 November 2015 (MIA) - The Macedonian Army informed that it has began preparing parts of the southern border with Greece, near the town of Gevgelija, for the possible erecting of a barrier whose role would be to control and direct the flow of refugees. The proposal was raised following the meeting of the Macedonian National Security Council, convened by President Gjorge Ivanov after it became likely that some of the perpetrators of the Paris terror attacks have used the Balkan refugee route to reach France.
Army spokesman, Colonel Toni Janevski, told MIA that the units deployed near Gevgelija are clearing up the terrain, in case a decision is made to put a border barrier. "Preparations are also on-going in planning for the necessary resources", Colonel Janevski said. According to the National Security Council, the option to place a barrier on the border would be used only in the case of absolute necessity, such as if countries further north, up the refugee route, close their borders, creating cascading backlogs all over the Balkans.
Gevgelija is the main border crossing used by the refugees coming from the Middle East through Turkey and Greece toward the Balkans, on their ultimate way to Germany and other northern European countries. Over 400.000 people are estimated to have used the route since the mass refugee crisis began about a year ago.cc/12:44
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 2:21 PM | Strategic talks on enhancement of Macedonia-France defense cooperation
Enhancement of cooperation with the Directorate-General for International Relations and Strategy wit...
- 1:47 PM | EP: Third country nationals exempt from visa requirements to apply for EU travel authorization as of 2020
The European Parliament's Civil Liberties Committee approved Thursday new draft rules according to w...
- 12:40 PM | Detention ordered against fifth suspect involved in MP Sela's attack
A judge has ordered a 30-day detention against a man, the fifth suspect, for an attempted murder of ...
- 12:38 PM | Nikolovski: Cooperation with scientific institutions in creation of new agrarian policies
The scientists from 26 countries, representatives of universities, institutions and companies partic...
- 12:38 PM | Grujevski, Boskovski extradition procedure to start after Interpol notification: justice ministry
The Justice Ministry will initiate the procedure for extradition of Goran Grujevski and Nikola Bosko...