- Monday, January 01, 2018 4:57 PM
Skopje, 1 January 2018 (MIA) - A government delegation laid fresh flowers Monday on the grave of the first President of the Republic of Macedonia, Kiro Gligorov, who passed away on 1 January 2012.
Gligorv became the first democratically elected president of Macedonia on 26 January 1991 and served two terms until 19 November 1999. He led the country to independence proclaimed after the referendum held on 8 September 1991, and managed to keep it out of the Yugoslav wars.
During his presidential mandate, Macedonia got a new constitution (November 1991) and became the 181st UN member. lk/16:56
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 9:34 PM | Protest against name agreement in downtown Skopje
A group of citizens staged another protest against the name agreement in front of the Parliament bui...
- 7:40 PM | Greek leader dons tie in sartorial relief over bailout end
Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras has donned a tie, for the first time in more than three years in...
- 7:37 PM | WC 2018: Nigeria bounce back to beat Iceland 2-0
Nigeria beat Iceland 2-0 on Friday to revive their hopes of advancing into the knockout stages of th...
- 7:33 PM | German Embassy welcomes name agreement ratification in Parliament
The Skopje-based German Embassy congratulated Friday Prime Ministers Zoran Zaev and Alexis Tsipras o...
- 7:29 PM | Czech PM says ready to turn away migrants if Germany, Austria do
Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babis said Friday his country was ready to start turning away migrants i...