- Friday, January 27, 2017 2:14 PM
Berlin, 27 January 2017 (MIA) - German vice chancellor and outgoing head of the Social Democrats (SPD) Sigmar Gabriel will take over the role of foreign minister on Friday in a cabinet reshuffle ahead of the national election in September, dpa reports.
Gabriel, who until now has headed the Economy Ministry in the grand coalition government of Chancellor Angela Merkel, will become Germany‘s top diplomat in place of Frank-Walter Steinmeier, who is set to be voted in as president on February 12.
The Economy Ministry will be led by Brigitte Zypries, who had already been serving as its parliamentary state secretary.
The cabinet reshuffle was prompted by a leadership change in the SPD, with former EU Parliament president Martin Schulz taking over from Gabriel to challenge Merkel in the September 24 election. ik/14:12
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 4:34 PM | Macedonia becomes full-fledged member of Adriatic-Ionian Initiative
On an invitation of Italian Foreign Minister Angelino Alfano, a delegation of Macedonia’s Foreign Mi...
- 3:30 PM | Greek media on new name talks round in New York
Greek media are reporting extensively Thursday about the fresh round of Athens-Skopje name talks in ...
- 2:58 PM | North Korea nuclear test tunnels at Punggye-ri destroyed
North Korea followed through on a pledge to blow up tunnels at its nuclear test site on Thursday, me...
- 2:51 PM | Migrants block northern Greek highway in 2nd day of protests
Some 250 asylum-seekers have blocked a busy northern Greek highway, in a second day of protests agai...
- 2:18 PM | Zaev-Mickoski TV duel: Citizens expect solution to name issue
There is no alternative for Macedonia but the EU, NATO membership and thus creativity, leadership is...