- Thursday, October 12, 2017 1:11 PM
Madrid, 12 October 2017 (MIA) - Catalan president Carles Puigdemont has reacted to the Spanish ultimatum to backtrack on his independence plans or face a suspension of regional powers, tweeting "We demand dialogue and the response is to put article 155 on the table. Message understood."
The separatist leader was referring to the clause that triggers never-used constitutional powers that Spain's conservative government has threatened to invoke if the independence bid is not dropped before an Oct. 19 deadline, AP reported.
Puigdemont had earlier proposed to regional lawmakers to freeze the implementation of secession to allow time for negotiating independence with Spain. Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has rejected any dialogue as long as secession is on the table.
The only other acknowledgement of Madrid's warning came from Puigdemont's deputy, Catalan vice president Oriol Junqueras, who tweeted to Rajoy: "A sincere dialogue is what the international community wants and what Catalonia expects, not confrontation and new threats." ba/13:10
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 4:53 PM | Forest fire burns west of Athens, residents flee on mopeds
A swift-moving forest fire burned through a mountainous area west of Athens on Monday, prompting res...
- 4:51 PM | VMRO-DPMNE's Mickoski: Gov't accepts opposition demands
Party leaders have reached an agreement on the law on the financing of political parties, a Przino-s...
- 4:49 PM | Sweden faces 'extreme' risk of even more wildfires
Sweden is facing an "extreme" risk of more wildfires in coming days, authorities warned on Monday. ...
- 4:44 PM | I’m ‘very happy’ with progress in North Korea talk, says Trump
US President Donald Trump on Monday lashed out at the media for what he said was “Fake News” about d...
- 4:08 PM | Leaders’ meeting brings agreement on ‘Przino Government, State Election Commission and financing of political parties (video)
After six-hour talks, the leaders of four main parties in Macedonia reached an agreement Monday on t...