- Saturday, January 13, 2018 10:56 AM
Skopje, 13 January 2018 (MIA) - Vevcani will be an open-air theatre this weekend, an abundance of creativity and improvisation, the center of satire regarding the events that marked the past year.
The Vevcani carnival, which celebrates the arrival of the new year according to the old calendar, begins Saturday with the parade of masks and an evening concert.
The event will culminate on Sunday, with the dance of about 1,000 masks and the traditional mask burning.
1,400-year-old celebration symbolizes two parallel worlds - paganism and Christianity. The masks of groom and bride are an inevitable element on the streets of Vevcani. They symbolize fertility and procreation. Revelers also wear masks depicting two devils, the embodiment of evil, and August the Stupid, which protects people from evil. ik/10:55
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 9:26 PM | True patriotism is doing what is best for future generations, Robertson tells MIA
Former NATO secretary-general, Lord George Robertson, tells MIA the newly-established Ohrid Group wi...
- 8:56 PM | Bulgaria, Greece and Romania meet in support of Serbia's EU accession
Bulgaria, Greece, and Romania must do everything possible for Serbia to join the EU family, Bulgaria...
- 8:36 PM | Debate on Macedonia’s process for joining EU, NATO
After 17 years it may be concluded that the Ohrid Framework Agreement is successful, as it restored ...
- 8:25 PM | Greek MoFA urges Hahn to refrain from giving wrong image of name talks
The Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs has urged EU Commissioner Johannes Hahn to refrain from giving...
- 8:04 PM | Finance Ministry says 30-year bond improves debt structure and refinancing
The Finance Ministry said Tuesday the issuance of long-term securities, such as today's 30-year bond...