- Friday, February 09, 2018 7:40 PM
Budapest, 9 February 2018 (MIA) - The European Union should step up efforts to integrate the Balkans, Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban said on Friday, adding that Budapest would aim to accelerate the accession of its southern neighbor, Serbia.
“We must integrate the Balkans into the EU, the EU itself has already accepted that,” Reuters cites Orban as saying at a Hungarian-Serbian business forum. “It has also provided a date, 2025. We are not happy with this date, we think it is modest, this is too distant.”
Orban met Serbian Prime Minister Ana Brnabic earlier in the day in Budapest.
The EU acted on Tuesday to reinvigorate the membership ambitions of six Balkan states and reclaim the region as its own amid growing Russian and Chinese influence, setting 2025 as a goal for Serbia and Montenegro to join. lk/19:38
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 4:34 PM | Macedonia becomes full-fledged member of Adriatic-Ionian Initiative
On an invitation of Italian Foreign Minister Angelino Alfano, a delegation of Macedonia’s Foreign Mi...
- 3:30 PM | Greek media on new name talks round in New York
Greek media are reporting extensively Thursday about the fresh round of Athens-Skopje name talks in ...
- 2:58 PM | North Korea nuclear test tunnels at Punggye-ri destroyed
North Korea followed through on a pledge to blow up tunnels at its nuclear test site on Thursday, me...
- 2:51 PM | Migrants block northern Greek highway in 2nd day of protests
Some 250 asylum-seekers have blocked a busy northern Greek highway, in a second day of protests agai...
- 2:18 PM | Zaev-Mickoski TV duel: Citizens expect solution to name issue
There is no alternative for Macedonia but the EU, NATO membership and thus creativity, leadership is...