- Monday, March 19, 2018 3:53 PM
Sofia, 19 March 2018 (MIA) - Nearly 800 people from Western Balkan countries have fought for the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq, said Europol Executive Director Rob Wainwright.
"There are 30,000 potential terrorists in the European Union," Wainwright said at the opening of the Europol meeting taking place in Sofia as part of Bulgaria's presidency with the Council of the EU.
Bulgaria as well as many other European countries are being under the threat of terrorism, he warned.
According to Wainwright, the expansion of terrorist activities pose a major threat to Europe, alongside cyber threat and criminal groups operating in some countries. Europol is strengthening its capacities to make it harder for terrorists to operate, he noted.
Last year, Europol conducted over 1,600 operations. ba/15:52
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 9:26 PM | True patriotism is doing what is best for future generations, Robertson tells MIA
Former NATO secretary-general, Lord George Robertson, tells MIA the newly-established Ohrid Group wi...
- 8:56 PM | Bulgaria, Greece and Romania meet in support of Serbia's EU accession
Bulgaria, Greece, and Romania must do everything possible for Serbia to join the EU family, Bulgaria...
- 8:36 PM | Debate on Macedonia’s process for joining EU, NATO
After 17 years it may be concluded that the Ohrid Framework Agreement is successful, as it restored ...
- 8:25 PM | Greek MoFA urges Hahn to refrain from giving wrong image of name talks
The Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs has urged EU Commissioner Johannes Hahn to refrain from giving...
- 8:04 PM | Finance Ministry says 30-year bond improves debt structure and refinancing
The Finance Ministry said Tuesday the issuance of long-term securities, such as today's 30-year bond...