- Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:32 AM
Strasbourg, 17 April 2018 (MIA) - The European Union needs to open up to accepting new members from the Western Balkans to avoid the risk of a new war in the region, the head of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker told the European Parliament on Tuesday, Reuters reports.
“If we do not open up to countries in that highly complicated an tragic region, and if we do not open up a European perspective to them, we will see war returning to that area as we saw in the 1990s,” Juncker said.
“I do not want to see war returning to the Balkans and so we need to open up to them,” he said. ik/11:31
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 9:46 PM | French President Macron arrives in US for state visit
France's President Emmanuel Macron and his wife Brigitte arrived in Washington Monday to be guests a...
- 8:37 PM | PACE convenes urgent debate on allegations of corruption
The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) decided Monday to hold urgent debate on a...
- 6:24 PM | Spain vetoes summit declaration over Kosovo
Spain has vetoed a draft text of a joint declaration planned for publication during the EU-Western B...
- 6:16 PM | Armenian PM Sarksyan quits after 11 days of street protests
Armenian Prime Minister Serzh Sarksyan said on Monday he was resigning to help safeguard civic peace...
- 5:46 PM | UN confirms new round of name talks in Vienna
The UN mediator in Macedonia-Greece negotiations on settling the name dispute, Matthew Nimetz, will ...