- Thursday, June 21, 2018 8:40 AM
Kazan, 21 June 2018 (MIA) - A fortuitous second half goal by Diego Costa broke a Persian stonewall and lifted Spain to a 1-0 win over a courageous Iran in a nerve-jangling World Cup clash on Wednesday, Reuters reports.
Costa claimed his third goal of the tournament in the 54th minute at Kazan Arena but the striker hardly knew about it, the ball deflecting off his knee from an attempted clearance by hapless Iran defender Ramin Rezaeian.
The result put Spain joint top of Group B with Iberian rivals Portugal on four points ahead of their last match against the already eliminated Morocco.
Iran remain on three points and can reach the knockout rounds for the first time with victory over Portugal. ik/08:38
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 6:56 PM | Speaker Xhaferi meets members of EU-Macedonia Joint Parliamentary Committee
Speaker Talat Xhaferi wished successful work Wednesday to members of the EU-Macedonia Joint Parliame...
- 6:49 PM | Zbogar: We want to see your country as full-fledged EU member
Citizens will decide very soon on the path of their future and relations with the European Union. Th...
- 6:14 PM | EU must end migration 'blame game': Tusk
The chairman of the body grouping European Union government leaders lashed out on Wednesday against ...
- 6:10 PM | Germany, EU call on Albania to continue reform progress
Germany's foreign minister on Wednesday called on Albania to work hard on its reforms so as to convi...
- 5:37 PM | EU must convince southern members over border guard plan: Austria
The EU must convince Italy, Spain and Greece to back a plan to bolster the bloc's external borders, ...