- Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:32 PM
Brussels, 11 July 2018 (MIA) – NATO member states have agreed to invite Macedonia to start the accession talks, Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg told a press conference on Wednesday.
‘We welcome the historic agreement between Athens and Skopje on the solution of the name issue and agreed to invite the government in Skopje to start accession talks. Once all national procedures have been completed to finalise the name agreement, the country will join NATO as our 30th member,’ Stoltenberg said.
He however reminded that Macedonia could join NATO only if the country changed its name.
It is up to the people in the country to decide, as this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity – they will either support the agreement and become members or do the opposite and won’t become members, he said. lk/18:31
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 6:15 PM | Russia sends Syrian refugee proposal to U.S. after Trump summit
Russia's Defence Ministry said on Friday it had sent a proposal to Washington to jointly organise th...
- 5:28 PM | Hungarian PM Orban welcomes Macedonia-Greece name deal
Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban has sent a letter to congratulate Prime Minister Zoran Zaev on...
- 5:26 PM | Russia summons Greek ambassador in Moscow amid diplomatic row
Russia's government has summoned the Greek ambassador to protest the expulsion of two Russian diplom...
- 5:11 PM | Man arrested after knife attack on German bus
A man armed with a knife attacked people on a bus in the northern German city of Luebeck on Friday, ...
- 4:59 PM | FM Dimitrov: Macedonia, Kosovo should find a solution to Pristina decision to hike duties on fruit and vegetable imports
If Macedonia introduces counter-measures, the situation will escalate and then the two countries wil...