- Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:32 PM
Brussels, 11 July 2018 (MIA) – NATO member states have agreed to invite Macedonia to start the accession talks, Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg told a press conference on Wednesday.
‘We welcome the historic agreement between Athens and Skopje on the solution of the name issue and agreed to invite the government in Skopje to start accession talks. Once all national procedures have been completed to finalise the name agreement, the country will join NATO as our 30th member,’ Stoltenberg said.
He however reminded that Macedonia could join NATO only if the country changed its name.
It is up to the people in the country to decide, as this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity – they will either support the agreement and become members or do the opposite and won’t become members, he said. lk/18:31
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 9:49 PM | Europe needs you, German FM Maas tells the debate ‘Why Europe’
Why Europe? – to have a decent, orderly, functional state, high-quality education, health care, bett...
- 9:23 PM | Speaker Xhaferi meets EP Vice President Papadimoulis
Parliament Speaker Talat Xhaferi met Tuesday with European Parliament Vice President Dimitrios Papad...
- 8:55 PM | Germany ousts spy chief over handling of far-right protests
Germany's government said on Tuesday it would replace the head of its domestic spy agency who has fa...
- 8:24 PM | PM Zaev: I’m certain all citizens will say ‘yes’ for Macedonia’s Euro-Atlantic future
I am certain that all citizens of Macedonia will make a historic decision and seize the unique oppor...
- 8:15 PM | Meta urges Albanians in Macedonia to vote "for" at referendum
Albanian President Ilir Meta has urged Albanians in Macedonia to take part at the September 30 refer...