- Tuesday, June 19, 2018 7:34 PM
Moscow, 19 June 2018 (MIA) - Senegal took full advantage of their opponents' errors to beat Poland 2-1 in their opening Group H match, finally giving Africa something to cheer about at the World Cup as the group favourites failed to fire, Reuters reports.
Leading thanks to a clumsy Thiago Cionek own-goal in a poor first half, M'Baye Niang put the game beyond the disjointed Poles on the hour, seizing on goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny's decision to race out of his area to gather a long back pass. Niang showed pace and control to beat the keeper and covering defender Jan Bednarek before slotting home in an empty net.
Grzegorz Krychowiak, author of the wayward back pass, made partial amends with a header five minutes from time but it was too late.
The result leaves Senegal, famous winners over defending champions France in the opening match of their last World Cup appearance in 2002, level with Japan.
The Asian team overcame Colombia by the same score earlier in the day. The last of five African teams to play in the tournament, Senegal are the only ones not to lose. ik/19:32
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 4:32 PM | Osmani: I believe that opposition will realize that the country has no future without EU and NATO
Deputy PM for European Affairs Bujar Osmani considers that opposing of VMRO-DPMNE to the name deal w...
- 3:55 PM | Fund for Innovations says procedure of first call on Economic Growth Plan is transparent
The Fund for Innovations and Technology Development said Sunday that the procedure for conducting th...
- 3:04 PM | Ex-Trump adviser Steve Bannon planning foundation to boost far right in Europe: Report
US President Donald Trump's controversial former adviser Steve Bannon plans to set up a foundation i...
- 2:54 PM | Kotzias: Citizens of the neighbouring country have the right to self-determination
We cannot change the universal right the neighbours to be called Macedonians, at an individual or un...
- 1:36 PM | Angjusev urges his companies’ co-owners to withdraw applications for Government’s Economic Growth Plan funding measures
Deputy PM for Economic Affairs Koco Angjusev urged co-owners of his companies to reconsider decision...