- Monday, January 01, 2018 4:57 PM
Skopje, 1 January 2018 (MIA) - A government delegation laid fresh flowers Monday on the grave of the first President of the Republic of Macedonia, Kiro Gligorov, who passed away on 1 January 2012.
Gligorv became the first democratically elected president of Macedonia on 26 January 1991 and served two terms until 19 November 1999. He led the country to independence proclaimed after the referendum held on 8 September 1991, and managed to keep it out of the Yugoslav wars.
During his presidential mandate, Macedonia got a new constitution (November 1991) and became the 181st UN member. lk/16:56
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 7:32 PM | EU parliament demands independent probe into Slovak reporter's murder
The European Parliament called Thursday on Slovakia to ensure a full and independent investigation i...
- 7:32 PM | FM Dimitrov to visit Luxembourg on Friday
Foreign Minister Nikola Dimitrov will pay Friday a return visit to the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, up...
- 7:04 PM | U.S. Ambassador Baily congratulates Macedonia on EU recommendation
United States Ambassador Jess Baily has congratulated Macedonia on obtaining the clear recommendatio...
- 6:46 PM | EU foreign policy chief praises Montenegro's role in Balkans
The European Union foreign policy chief has praised Montenegro's role in the volatile Balkan region,...
- 6:19 PM | Turkey steps in to complete construction of Skopje-based Turkish Theater
The construction of a new building housing the Turkish Theater in Skopje will be completed in cooper...