- Monday, February 04, 2013 6:11 PM
Prilep, 4 February 2013 (MIA) - A fire which has engulfed the monastery of Treskavec on Monday is now put under control, but hasn't been extinguished yet. The Church of the Holy Mother of God, which is part of the monastery, is out of danger.
Three army helicopters and firefighting units from Prilep and Bitola have been battling the blaze, the Crisis Management Center (CMC) said.
CMC has confirmed that the fire is under control. Hundreds of citizens, who have responded to an appeal by the local authorities, and firefighters are still at the monastery taking measures to put out the fire completely.
Treskavec is one of the largest blocks of monasteries in Macedonia and a world-renowned monument of culture.
It has been caught by three massive fires in the past. The most recent one took place in 1990 when the monastery dormitories were completely damaged.
The monastery is situated on Mount Zlatovrv, 8 km north of Prilep. Built in the 12th century, it is known for being very inaccessible and has only one monk. The monastery possesses a large collection of Byzantine frescoes. ba/18:09
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 4:17 PM | North Korea agrees to accept U.N. agency staff over missiles
North Korea has agreed to allow International Civil Aviation Organization staff to conduct an on-sit...
- 4:07 PM | Homer’s Iliad to close 58th Ohrid Summer Festival on Monday
Macedonia’s biggest music and theatre event, the 58th edition of Ohrid Summer Festival, is to close ...
- 2:00 PM | Operational Employment Plan, Youth Guarantee programme - effective to reduce unemployment
2018 Operational Employment Plan and pilot programme Youth Guarantee are being successfully implemen...
- 11:17 AM | Portrait of academician Radovan Pavlovski at scientific and art visit in Uranija House-MANU
An event portraying the academician Radovan Pavlovski will be held Sunday evening within scientific ...
- 10:52 AM | Tough talks, no agreements at Merkel, Putin meeting near Berlin
Russian President Vladimir Putin and German Chancellor Angela Merkel discussed the conflicts in Ukra...