- Friday, February 09, 2018 7:40 PM
Budapest, 9 February 2018 (MIA) - The European Union should step up efforts to integrate the Balkans, Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban said on Friday, adding that Budapest would aim to accelerate the accession of its southern neighbor, Serbia.
“We must integrate the Balkans into the EU, the EU itself has already accepted that,” Reuters cites Orban as saying at a Hungarian-Serbian business forum. “It has also provided a date, 2025. We are not happy with this date, we think it is modest, this is too distant.”
Orban met Serbian Prime Minister Ana Brnabic earlier in the day in Budapest.
The EU acted on Tuesday to reinvigorate the membership ambitions of six Balkan states and reclaim the region as its own amid growing Russian and Chinese influence, setting 2025 as a goal for Serbia and Montenegro to join. lk/19:38
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 10:34 AM | Sunny and warm with slightly overcast skies
Sunny and warm in Macedonia today, with slightly overcast skies. Short showers and local storms are ...
- 7:39 PM | Albania’s opposition boycotts resolution supporting EU talks
Albania’s opposition on Thursday boycotted a resolution expressing support for the launch of negotia...
- 5:56 PM | Trump cancels Kim summit amid North Korea 'hostility'
US President Donald Trump has cancelled a summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, saying the wo...
- 5:45 PM | Macedonian, Bulgarian PMs in Rome: Ss. Cyril and Methodius’ mission promotes dialogue and mutual understanding
Macedonian and Bulgarian delegations, led by Prime Ministers Zoran Zaev and Boyko Borissov respectiv...
- 4:34 PM | Macedonia becomes full-fledged member of Adriatic-Ionian Initiative
On an invitation of Italian Foreign Minister Angelino Alfano, a delegation of Macedonia’s Foreign Mi...