- Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:15 PM
Geneva, 16 May 2018 (MIA) - A rare blue diamond that has spent the past 300 years in Europe's royal houses has been sold at auction in Geneva for $6.7m (£5m), BBC reports.
The Farnese Blue was given as a wedding present to Elizabeth Farnese, daughter of the Duke of Parma, when she married Philip V of Spain in 1715.
It then passed down through the generations, moving from Spain to France, Italy and Austria.
The 6.1 carat diamond comes from the famous Golconda mine of India.
It sold after just four minutes of bidding at Sotheby's, easily passing the auction house's estimate of $3.5m-$5m.
"We were expecting a good result but we started from $3.5m and we ended up with $6.7m, so we exceeded our expectation," said Sotheby's jewellery specialist, Daniela Mascetti.
"Good jewels, well-designed, well-made, with a signature, with a perfect... slot in time, in age, do very well."
According to the auctioneers' website, the pear-shaped diamond once formed part of a tiara owned by the ill-fated French Queen Marie Antoinette.
The identity of the new owner has not been revealed. sk/14:13
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 2:54 PM | Kotzias: Citizens of the neighbouring country have the right to self-determination
We cannot change the universal right the neighbours to be called Macedonians, at an individual or un...
- 1:36 PM | Angjusev urges his companies’ co-owners to withdraw applications for Government’s Economic Growth Plan funding measures
Deputy PM for Economic Affairs Koco Angjusev urged co-owners of his companies to reconsider decision...
- 12:21 PM | Albanian Theatre to perform “Danton’s death” at Ohrid Summer Festival
Skopje-based Albanian Theatre is to perform theatre play “Danton’s death” play by Georg Büchner and ...
- 11:44 AM | Cuba approves new leader's Cabinet with old faces in place
Cuban lawmakers on Saturday approved the Cabinet named by new President Miguel Diaz-Canel, keeping m...
- 11:31 AM | Train in Greece hits, kills 2 migrants near Turkish border
Greek police say two migrants have been killed in northeastern Greece, hit by the same local train i...