- Saturday, May 26, 2018 1:28 PM
London, 26 May 2018 (MIA) - Trainspotting director Danny Boyle has won the battle to direct the 25th James Bond film, the official franchise has announced.
Boyle had previously suggested he was hopeful of winning a place in the 007 director's chair, after announcing that he and long-term writing partner John Hodge had been working on a script for the forthcoming film, which will see Daniel Craig return as James Bond, The Telegraph reports.
The pair have been nurturing plans for a Bond film for a number of years. Craig and Boyle even bonded while the actor was taking on an extra job as the character – appearing in a brief skit with Queen Elizabeth II during the Olympics Opening Ceremony. The burgeoning friendship between director and star inspired Hodge and Boyle to devise a Bond screenplay.
Studio MGM and producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson caught wind of Boyle's idea, and liked it enough for Hodge to make his Bond screenplay presentable, industry presses reported in February.
Boyle, however, has hardly been keeping his new assignment top secret: he let on that he and Hodge were working on a new Bond story in a red carpet interview in March.
The director, who made his name creating cult hits such as Shallow Grave, The Beach and zombie horror film 28 Days Later before winning Oscar recognition for Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours, has also hinted that his Bond could be more progressive than its predecessors. Boyle said he would be writing the script "in real time", suggesting feminism and #MeToo culture may have an influence on the script. "You acknowledge the legacy of the world [of Bond] and you write in the world – but you also write in the modern world as well," Boyle told a New York audience earlier this year.
Boyle has not always been Bond 25's frontrunner: last September, it was reported that Arrival director Denis Villeneuve was the favourite to direct, certainly with Craig, at least. Over the past year, Hollywood heavyweights Christopher Nolan and Edgar Wright have also been rumoured to take on the latest instalment of the franchise.
So far, the announcement has been met with intrigue by online commentators, and understandably so: Boyle is known for his unique style, which he will undoubtedly find room for even among the classic Bond film clichés.
Production is set to begin on December 3, with the film expected to be released next year. sk/13:26
All Rights Reserved.This material may not be stored, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form, except with the prior express permission of Macedonian Information Agency.
- 2:50 PM | President Ivanov to attend 73rd UN General Assembly in New York
Macedonian President Gjorge Ivanov kicks off Thursday his working visit to the United States, where ...
- 2:15 PM | EBRD lends €10m to Macedonia to improve European transport corridor
A €10 million loan from European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) to the Macedonian go...
- 1:18 PM | Macedonia up two spots in latest FIFA ranking
Macedonia's national football team has advanced two spots in the latest FIFA ranking released on Thu...
- 1:00 PM | Spasovski: Macedonia plays active role in wide-reaching front against cyber threats
There's no doubt that in the past several years cyber crimes have become a major security-related th...
- 12:38 PM | US State Department: Macedonia cooperating in counterterrorism efforts
Macedonia cooperated with U.S. counterterrorism efforts and was a member of the Global Coalition to ...